Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Makeover

I had always thought that silhouettes were something you made in grade school for you mom for Mother's Day until a few years back when I found a hand stitched silhouette of a mother reading to her young child. When I went online to research them I realized that they have a deep history, are somewhat hard to find, and can be enormously expensive. I have found a few more over the years and my mom was happy to give me two nice ones that she had had for years. When I spotted these frames at an estate sale for $3.00 I though, why not make my own silhouettes?




I took the nice, but not my style, pictures out of the frames, sprayed them with spray adhesive, and covered them with fabric. I went online and found these two free images, printed them, enlarged them on my printer and cut them out...carefully.




I then painted them with black acrylic paint and let them dry completely (the key word here is completely).


After they were dry....I mixed some white glue with a bit of water in a small plastic bowl and using a sponge brush I painted the glue on the backside of the silhouettes being very careful not to get any glue on the front. I then turned them over and placed them on the fabric and smoothed them down...carefully.



You can find many tutorials online for turning your own photos into silhouettes because why would your mother want a silhouette of somebody else's kid?

No comments:

Post a Comment