Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Prayer Flowers

I get the privilege every Sunday of teaching a second grade Bible study class. I love this age group because of their enthusiasm and desire to know God's Word and to understand His character. The world hasn't got a strangle hold on them yet and they still believe what grown- ups tell them! I love to listen to their honest, heart-felt prayers for dads that are serving our country, for strength to obey their parents and for their ill pets. And, as no surprise to most of you, I love the craft time of our lesson! Sunday we made these darling prayer flowers that not only look cute but are a great tool to help teach the daily discipline of prayer.
I printed the verse on mailing labels so they could easily stick them on their flower pots. Second graders have a hard time writing in small spaces so I opted to not have them try to fit the verse on the pot. We punched out flowers and wrote a day of the week on each one. I made sure we had some fine point sharpies for that process. We then glued them on pop sickle sticks.

After we had the flowers complete we spent some time thinking of 7 people, one for each day of the week, that we could pray for and we then wrote one name on each stem (stick). I put a hunk of floral foam in each cup and we planted our prayer flowers. We topped them off with some
paper shreds for the dirt.
The Lord will hear when I call to Him.
Psalm 4:3

No comments:

Post a Comment