Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Strange Occurrences

I know, you are wondering why on earth I would post a photo of a buffalo on our blog? My friend Kris thinks that I post really random subjects on my blog. This one's for you Kris!

Our family has been experiencing some strange encounters with the animal kingdom this summer. We all on a regular basis see, quail, pheasant, deer, etc. You know, your average basic country animals. We also see an occasional coyote, moose, and even elk herds. But a few weeks ago I looked out the kitchen window and across the 12 or so acres in front of my house running down the road, a group of buffalo. There were about 10 or 12 of them and I don't think that qualifies as a herd, just a group. And no, this one did not stand there for me to take it's photo. At first I thought that they were elk but decided that I needed a better look through the binoculars and yep, buffalo! So obviously someone near our home raises them and they escaped somehow but as we watched them run through our neighbor's wheat fields we wondered, how do you get your buffalo to come home? Can you herd them? I don't think you can trick them with a pail of oats like we used to do when our horses got out. Tranquilize them? I don't know how or even if they got home but we haven't seen them since.


Our oldest daughter Amber has had her own strange encounters with a crazy mother Robin who attacks her cats when they go outside. Of course they are protecting their nest but the cats didn't even know that the nest existed. These encounters traumatized poor little Peter for quite some time. Imagine just wanting to go out and get a bit of fresh air and a Robin starts flying after you pecking at your rear end! Also at the same time as the Robin fiasco, a mother coyote decides to camp with her babies in the back yard of Amber's office building. No one knows what caused her to move the babies into town but this story did not have a happy ending.






And, to add to our strange animal kingdom occurrences, my youngest daughter Amanda, called me out to the back patio the other day to look at something that was making her cringe a bit. I wasn't sure I wanted to see it. This is a photo of what we first thought was a cocoon of some sort caught in a spider's web that was attached to an iron basket handle on the porch. As we were staring at it trying to figure out what exactly it could be, the little golden balls scattered into hundreds of baby spiders...now I'm cringing. I don't mind spiders too much but this was really creepy. These little golden balls were actually teeny, tiny, baby spiders all grouped tightly together to form a ball. We didn't want to kill them but also really didn't like the idea of that many spiders growing up on the back porch so.......we put them, basket and all, into a flower bed nearby. In all honesty I'm hoping that they ran into some bad luck! So, this concludes our strange experiences so far this summer with the always surprising animal and arachnid kingdom! Let me know if you also are having strange animal encounters.


No comments:

Post a Comment